DSI Comedy Forums

Go Back   DSI Comedy Forums > The Bullpen > Guerilla Marketing

Old March 12, 2007, 02:14 AM
THE WARDEN

Send a message via MSN to Zach
Default IMPROV AUDITION: Sunday March 25th, 7:00-9:30pm

DSI Comedy Theater will be holding open auditions on Sunday March 25th for upcoming shows, teams and new comedy projects to be produced by DSI and presented at the DSI Comedy Theater. You do not have to be a DSI company member or student currently enrolled in an improv Training Center.

--
Audition Details
Are you interested in improvisation? How about sketch comedy? Would you like to have the opportunity to be directed, learn more about comedy as an artform (shortform, longform, Harold, sketch) and perform regularly? Email DSI Artistic Director Zach Ward with the following information:

(zach@dsicomedytheater.com)

Name
Phone Number
Address
Improv / Acting / Comedy Experience (not required for all projects)

People who email will be scheduled in groups of 10-12 for a 45 minute audition slot during the evening. You can expect to deliver 2 improvised monologues from suggestions of topic and character, and 2 or 3 scenes with different partners. If necessary, Callbacks for specific projects will be held on Thursday March 29th, 7:00-9:00pm at the DSI Studio and Theater.

DSI will make cast announcements on Friday March 30th.

--
Project Details

#1 Harold Night / DSI showcases its Harold Teams once a month on Thursday. The Harold (longform structure taught by DSI as the foundation for every successful venture into comedy) is a 30-minute collection of improvised scenes and games, a format pioneered by the late Del Close. Chicago-style improv transformed by the Dirty South. We are casting for a new Harold Team (you must be a graduate of Level 3L or currently enrolled with plans to take Level 4 to be eligible for a Harold Team).

#2 Incubator Team / Since 2003 DSI has been providing its own students and new improvisers with the opportunity to learn improv comedy in a performance environment (from ice cream shops to book stores to rock clubs to a professional stage). DSI will be casting an Incubator Team to perform longform improvisation under the direction of a DSI company member. (no experience necessary- people available to rehearse once weekly will be eligible for an Incubator Team, rehearsals will start April, scheduled performances late May).

#3 All Female Ensemble / DSI supports the local community of female performers, casting an All Female Ensemble to present longform improvisation under the direction of a DSI company member. (no longform experience necessary- DSI company members or improvisers with 12 months experience will be eligible for the All Female Ensemble).

#4 MySpace / DSI takes MySpace profiles of audience members at the DSI Comedy Theater and projects them on a 10' screen. We interview the audience member and the comedians present scenes based on the details they uncover. Who's in your Top 8? Top 16? Has your page been pimped? MySpace will rehearse under the direction of Jeremy Griffin. (people who are willing to rehearse once weekly will be eligible for MySpace, rehearsal during April/May, regular performances to start late May).

#5 DSI Witness News / DSI spins The Daily Show, Weekend Update, The Herald Sun and The News and Observer in order to produce a professionally aggressive local and national headline-driven comedy show. 1/2 sketch comedy, 1/2 pun, 1/2 amazing, 1/2 business suit improvisation, 100% funny. (people who are willing to rehearse once weekly (with some outside writing) will be eligible for DSI Witness News, rehearsal during April, performances to start early May).

#6 ComedySportz / DSI will push its ComedySportz company to be one of the best in the country, combining shortform, sketch and standup comedy to present the ultimate framework for improv games: A team-on-team comedy competition (you must be a Level 2 graduate or currently enrolled with plans to continue training to be eligible for the DSI ComedySportz Ensemble).

#7 Dirty Games / DSI comedians present improv games with mature content for audience during Best Show Ever, Saturdays at 9:30pm. (people with 12 months improv experience currently being directed in shortform and/or longform improv will be eligible for Dirty Games, monthly performances, no rehearsals).

#8 Sketch Ensemble / Exactly how it sounds. DSI will be casting a sketch comedy ensemble, a group of writer-performers who will develop material through improvisation, writing, reading, re-writing and re-writing, for live performance and filming for online distribution. If interested in the sketch project please submit 1 or 2 writing samples. (people with 12 months improv experience will be eligible for the Sketch Ensemble, weekly meeting/rehearsals).

--
Support Your Local Comedy

Spread the news about auditions.

Who should audition? Everyone.

What's it going to be like? Fun.

You can specify projects at the auditions. If you're interested in DSI Witness News let us know when you email. There will be a short writing submission using current events.

What if you don't know how to improvise? DSI will be casting an Incubator Team (no experience necessary). We will also be awarding Training Center scholarships and internships to people who show out at the auditions.

Feel free to email or reply here with any questions.

Last edited by Zach; April 16, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old March 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
THE WARDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach
Feel free to email or reply here with any questions.
Here are some answers to reader questions:
1. All rehearsal times are subject to ensemble and coach availability (conflicts should be provided at the audition when signing in). We understand that schedules may change, however, by accepting a position on a team or casting in a show you are agreeing to the scheduled rehearsal time and making the project/show/team as a priority commitment out of respect to the other people involved.

2. Harold Teams will perform on Harold Night, currently scheduled Thursday April 19, Thursday May 17, Thursday June 21 and Thursday July 19. 8:00pm showtime, 7:00pm calltime.

3. Incubator Teams will perform on Sundays, 7:30pm, during the DSI Student Showcase. The Incubator Program at DSI is meant to provide an opportunity for new coaches to develop artistically, for new students to experience working with a team, and for experienced improvisers who would like more performance time to get just that. If your Incubator Team continues to work beyond the scheduled Sunday performances, it may be eligible for opportunities during Standup and Jam (first Thursday of each month) and Best Show Ever (every Saturday, 9:30pm).

4. MySpace, DSI Witness News, and the Sketch Ensemble will be scheduled during the month or for monthly runs during Best Show Ever. The Sketch Ensemble (official name pending) will perform material during Standup and Jam and following Harold Night in preparation for a revue during Best Show Ever (every Saturday, 9:30pm).

5. Sketch and DSI Witness News Ensembles may not be performing every show. We are looking for versatile comedians who are interested in both writing and performing sketch comedy with production value, for the stage and for online distribution.

--
Artistic Director Update:
You should expect to provide a 4-month commitment for projects, shows and teams at DSI Comedy Theater (read: casting in late March should impact April-July commitment). That will enable DSI to put as much effort as possible into providing a growth experience for you artistically during that time. It should also help us (you and the Theater) manage time and priorities, artistically and professionally. DSI will run the next round of Auditions August 2007, for a September-December project commitment.

Thank you.
Old March 12, 2007, 04:40 PM
DSI Friend

Send a message via AIM to CoreyBrown

Zach,

I have a question! I just finished level 1....should IIIIII audition?

signed
Random guy 1
Old March 12, 2007, 11:16 PM
THE WARDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyBrown
I just finished level 1....should IIIIII audition?
Yes; Next Question.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
DSI Friend

Send a message via AIM to CoreyBrown

Yo Zach! Whats up boy?

I've been a house team member for a full year now. I see that you are producing new shows.

Should I audition for them??????

THANKS BRO!
Random House Member
Old March 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
neophyte improvisor

Default Question re. improv/sketch auditions

Um, I see that the Open Auditions are the same time and night as the Level 3 Harold showcase. Where will the auditions be held?
Old March 20, 2007, 02:22 AM
DSI Friend of a Friend

Send a message via AIM to Edward

When are the next auditions? I was very much stuck in an airport on sunday.
Old March 20, 2007, 07:36 AM
neophyte improvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
When are the next auditions? I was very much stuck in an airport on sunday.
Now I'm truly confused; I thought the auditions were this coming up Sunday, Sunday March 25th. Am I missing something here?
Old March 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
hendo

Send a message via AIM to coolette87

im pretty sure edward is the confused one.
Old March 20, 2007, 09:29 AM
Motorboatin' SOB

Send a message via AIM to tommyb Send a message via Yahoo to tommyb

Yeah, Auditions are this Sunday. I know because I am going to have to have a chopper fly me in just to make it back in time from my tennis tournament.

Okay, maybe not that extreme, but it's a good thing my doubles partner drives faster than I do

Gid'im a body bag yeahhhhhhhhhh!

Is okay lose to opponent must not lose to fear.