PDA

View Full Version : Aug 14 last opportunity:"I am woman, hear me roar"

suzmacimprov
July 27, 2004, 04:10 PM
This is a plug for a local play written by a hot new playwright. Her name is Candy Churilla, and she runs in improv circles in the Triangle area. When-- not "if"-- you meet her sometime, you will want to have seen her play. So just prevent a regret and get out and see it!

"Sex, Drugs, and Dinner, a black comedy about a white woman"

My friends and I saw this play, and I was impressed by her unflinching portrayal of her main character: a bold, foul-mouthed young woman who believes in a 'white knight', only to find that life is more dysfunctional than chivalrous. I was really impressed by the playwright's honesty: she has balls! Watching this play was like the shock of seeing "Sex and the City" for the first time: "Wow, women think that, but don't often SAY that!" I also enjoyed the comical characters who populate her story. The eight member cast features experienced theater stars in the Triangle (David Berberian, Candice Churilla, Tim Cole, J. Evarts, Mark Jeffrey Miller, Eric Morales, Steven Warnock, and Deborah Winstead) and they are great! I especially enjoyed Steven Warnock's gay, snotty boss-from-hell character. Here are Candy's notes from the playbill:

"When I first began writing this play, my intention was to make people laugh. When I sat down to rewrite the rough draft that intention changed. I decided to deeply explore human behavior in my shallow way.

We bully. We manipulate. We're passive-aggressive. We ignore cries for help from others. We abuse our bodies and our souls. We wake up disoriented, after nights of partying, in strange beds, with blood on our asses in a pool of what we hope to Christ is our own vomit. Okay, maybe you don't, but I do.

Why do we behave the way we do? How the hell should I know? I'm not a friggin' psychiatrist. What I do know is this: The Barbecue Joint (located on 630 Weaver Dairy Road in Chapel Hill) has the best barbecue in the Triangle. Just think about that."

--Candice Churilla, playwright

Where? Here are 4 performance times, pick your favorite:

July 30 and 31: 8pm at Ringside, Downtown Durham

August 13 and 14: 8pm at The Skylight Exchange, Chapel Hill.

Ticket prices are $10. Can get tickets at the door.

For ticket reservations or information, please contact Candice Churilla at 919-368-5896. Driving directions are available by looking at a map or contacting Loveseat Theater at loveseattheater@yahoo.com.

Zach
July 27, 2004, 04:13 PM
Candice Churilla was a member of the original DSI Incubator Team (until she left because of other obligations).

I cannot bring myself to call her Candy, but I would love to see her rock the DSI community.

Let's support her show.

slammin14
July 27, 2004, 04:14 PM
I have a question...is it starting a run on the 13th or is it just on the 13th?

slammin14
July 27, 2004, 04:18 PM
Nevermind, I wasn't reading close enough.

Jon Karpinos
August 13, 2004, 07:46 PM
To second what Zach said -- yes, please support this show.

I met Candice in January -- she acted in a short play I wrote that was produced at the ArtsCenter in February. She's great; please support her show.

Sorry this is so last-minute.