PDA

View Full Version : Book Club - new book

EthanK
November 16, 2003, 04:46 PM
Hey Book Club people
I said I'd post on this forum at the last book club and haven't really remembered when I view the boards. THanks Lisa for waking me up about it last night.

Anyway, post suggestions for the next book you would like to read for Book Club. We've done two recent books but there's no rule saying we have to read new ones. In fact I was at Barnes & Nobles yesterday and nothing really caught my eye. So let's post books we'd like to read and discuss and eventually pull one out.

And Jen, if you hear of anything cool coming soon from the publishing mailing lists you hear from, that would be a good lead for us too.

ilaughatme
November 16, 2003, 05:13 PM
Holy shit! Read Boomchakalaka by Edward Stanski!
AWEESSSOOMMMMEEEE!!!!!

PT
November 16, 2003, 10:18 PM
Read my "Little Pretty Orphan Girl Who Girl Ran Away With My Spoon" by Edward Graham, Im seriuos, it's freaky!

P.S. Just to let you now that's not a real book, but I always wanted to say all of that in a title. Cause I like being a jerk

EthanK
November 16, 2003, 11:24 PM
CeCe I have found no information form Yahoo or Amazon about the Stanski book of which you speak. Tell me more.

Jen OBryan
November 17, 2003, 08:45 AM
Yes, CeCe -- more info about the book!!

A few other ideas:

Lucky Girls (Nell Freudenberger): http://www.powells.com/review/2003_09_05.html

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385509456/104-8361256-9040741?v=glance

Lolita (Nobokov)

An Invisible Sign of My Own (Aimee Bender): http://dir.salon.com/books/review/2000/07/20/bender/index.html

ilaughatme
November 17, 2003, 10:16 AM
Really? Shit, I bet the goverment banned it. The bastards.

It's about an extremely right-wing Southern politician being possessed by the spirit of a Muslim woman in the wake of September 11th. He realizes she's in her so there are huge inner conflicts between the spirit and the dude.

EthanK
November 17, 2003, 11:42 AM
Dog in the Nighttime and Invisible Sign of my own looks good. and Cece's book (if it truly does exist) looks great too.

KatyJack
November 17, 2003, 01:50 PM
i highly recommend "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven" by Sherman Alexie. its short stories. about indians. its good.

Jeff Sconce
November 17, 2003, 08:18 PM
"Duck Egg Blue" is kinda cool. Mostly because I hate religion.
"Monkey Wrench Gang" is a pretty good book...the characters are very animated.
And, because I'm a pretentious bastard, I will always recommend "Gravity's Rainbow" for everything.

Kit's Alter Ego
November 17, 2003, 08:35 PM
Without having any idea what the goal/theme/membership of this book club is, I recommend
Big Trouble by Dave Barry (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0425184129/qid=1069121802/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6230792-4994439?v=glance&s=books),
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0441003257/qid=1069122015/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6230792-4994439?v=glance&s=books),
A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2X30YF0J3S&isbn=0380771411&itm=1),
and Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375700757/qid=1069122418/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6230792-4994439?v=glance&s=books).

--Kit

PS: The first and last have/will-soon-have movie versions of them, a sure sign that they're perfect for book clubs! :?

PPS: Unlike PT's and CeCe's, you can actually find these books. (Well, you can find Lonesome October and Big Trouble used, anyway.)

PPPS: I have copies of all four books, so--depending on time constraints and patience levels--you could conceivably just take turns reading mine! Or make semi-illegal copies! Or huddle close together and wait on the slowest reader!

PPPPS (this is ridiculous, isn't it, Corey?) to PT: Would you consider the 'Little Pretty Orphan Girl' from your title to be a 'dish'?

Peter O'Bryan
November 19, 2003, 08:46 PM
I still think we should read and discuss Samaritan by Richard Price. However, I am resigned to leafing through and finding shit to say about any piece of fluff you morons insist on.

Ha ha. I'm joking. Really. Yeah, it's a bit. Get it?

:shock:

Or we could all claim to have read Infinite Jest, and be like, "what was all that about?" "I don't know. How bout those footnotes?"

ilaughatme
November 19, 2003, 09:14 PM
Oh! Read http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1573441449/qid=1069297992/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/102-6704435-3580149?v=glance&n=507846

Kit's Alter Ego
November 20, 2003, 07:04 AM
Oh! Read http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1573441449/qid=1069297992/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/102-6704435-3580149?v=glance&n=507846

I love any book with online reviews that juxtapose two sentences like these:

"Plus the sections on using extra tricks with cunnilingus like blindfolds, sex toys, fantasies, and advanced stuff makes it a book I keep using. And she's a great young writer who brings a breath of fresh air and a savvy sense of style to the world of sex writing. "

--Kit

PS: Oh and then there's the one that says: "While this book is helpful for both men and women, it was clearly intended for lesbians."

PT
November 20, 2003, 03:30 PM
PT: Would you consider the 'Little Pretty Orphan Girl' from your title to be a 'dish'?

No Kit I wouldn't, cause she doesn't exist! Get over it manno, look, if this your way of saying you want out of this relationship, then just say so! :shock: I mean.... What's that Ma?! Yeah I'll be right there!!

heidi
December 2, 2003, 07:48 AM
I am suggesting threebooks for the club....Fast Food Nation has gotten a tremendous buzz and even those of you who have read it already might like to discuss it. Plus I have gotten some premature seconds on that one.

Holidays on Ice and Naked (two books by the same author)have been mentioned in some recent conversations of mine as highly recommended especially for those of you who listen to NPR..plus i think they are short stories.

Of course a lot of others come to mind but I am trying not to make everyone read my international-feminist-non-fiction- books at first....i will sneak those in later :twisted:

EthanK
December 2, 2003, 08:09 AM
Heidi -
are you talking about the David Sedaris books? They're short stories and on NPR all the time. I love his stuff and I think his short "The Rooster" should be required reading for anyone moving to NC.

heidi
December 2, 2003, 08:20 AM
Yes!

Jen OBryan
December 3, 2003, 10:47 AM
Big YES for Fast Food Nation or anything by David Sedaris.

If we do Holidays on Ice, we will need to read fast to get the book club meeting in during the holiday season (it's a quick read, so should be do-able). I don't know what people's best days are, how is Tues 12/16? We can do it at our house but if people would rather not drive we'll need to find someplace else -- could even be a coffeehouse/restaurant.

Yes? No? Thoughts?

p.s. All are invited to participate in the book club, just post here to let us know you're coming :)

EthanK
December 3, 2003, 10:58 AM
I'd really have to rush to get the book. Holidays on Ice then? 12/16? or wait until after the holidays?

Lisa P
December 3, 2003, 01:15 PM
Holidays on Ice sounds good. 12/16 is probably ok, but I can't get all the way out to Chez O'Bryan on a weeknight - at least not at a reasonable hour. Folks are welcome to come to my place, though it will be very cozy.

Andi
December 3, 2003, 03:19 PM
My semester's over on the 12th! I can actually read the book this time! :D

Jen OBryan
December 3, 2003, 06:02 PM
Yay! So it looks like we have enough to make it official:

Book: Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris
Where: Lisa's apartment in Raleigh
Date: Tues, Dec. 16
Time: 7 p.m.

Pete and I are confirmed. I will get a note out to the non-DSI'ers.

Lisa P
December 3, 2003, 08:35 PM
Yay!

jesstah
December 4, 2003, 11:27 AM
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West -- Gregory Maguire

Great take on the Wicked Witch's background. I am going to start on Maguire's other works involving Cinderella's stepsister and a take on Snow White.

-Jesster

EthanK
December 4, 2003, 11:31 AM
I've wanted to read that Jesster since I first heard about it. They just made it into a big Broadway musical with Joel Gray as the Wizard. Maybe that's the one we can read next. Thanks for the tip!

Lisa P
December 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
Hey everybody! Book club at my house tomorrow, Tuesday, 12/16 at 7:00. Be there or be... well, somewhere else, but we'd rather you be there.

It would be great if everyone came prepared with at least one question or discussion topic each, either about the book or inspired by the book.

I'll have some holiday-centric goodies to munch. PM me if you need directions.
-Lisa

Kit's Alter Ego
December 15, 2003, 05:45 PM
Hey everybody! Book club at my house tomorrow, Tuesday, 12/16 at 7:00. Be there or be... well, somewhere else, but we'd rather you be there.

Stupid finals.

--Kit

PS: The above refers to the stupid finals I have to take, rather than somehow meaning that the book club is the ultimate competition of idiocy.

EthanK
December 16, 2003, 02:39 PM
Lisa, what are the directions to your house again? I don't think I can remember them after this weekend.

Lisa P
December 16, 2003, 02:47 PM
Lisa, what are the directions to your house again? I don't think I can remember them after this weekend.Check your pm's, Ethan.

EthanK
December 22, 2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone who came to the last DSI Book Club where we discussed "Holidays on Ice" by David Sedaris. We squeezed a lot out of that book and I've already gotten copies for my mom and grandmother.

Per our discussion of the next book to do, I bought "Wicked" by Gregory Macguire. It's really really good and in a second I'm getting off the computer to read more of it. Let's post good dates for us to have it finished by and when and where to have the discussion.

Thanks Lisa for having it at your house last time!

Thanks Jesster for recommending "Wicked!" I'm going back to reading.

Lisa P
December 22, 2003, 06:50 PM
Wow, either you or Brian have esp. He just asked me what the next book is and I had already forgotten what we talked about. I'm looking forward to reading it.

This club is so great for me because I've mostly been reading science fiction/fantasy since I read The Chronicles of Narnia in the 9th grade. Thanks for rounding me out, book club partners!

Jen OBryan
December 22, 2003, 08:14 PM
In addition to figuring out the date for the next book club, we'll also want a location. Pete and I are happy to have it at our house if people are willing to do the drive.

We could also try a comfortable public place such as a restaurant, coffee house or quiet bar. We could probably also get away with doing it at a book store or library, or we could squat in a room at UNC. Thoughts?