PDA

View Full Version : The "Scott Pimps His Own 303L" Thread

Jennings
November 12, 2003, 01:22 PM
In talking with a few of you, I've come across a misconception about 303L that I'd like to address. I've heard more than once now words to the effect of "I've already taken 303L or the intensives, therefore I do not need to take 303L again."

This isn't freshman biology we're talking about here -- there isn't a set-in-stone set of facts and skills to be transferred to the student, there isn't a final exam, there's no diploma or degree to be had. As an improviser, you're on a life-long journey of learning, and you must be prepared to take every opportunity to learn that presents itself.

Back when I was in the UCBT training program, it was de rigueur to take level 3 at least twice, and now, they've added a level 3B to make it de jure. I took level 3 twice, and wasn't awesome at all until about halfway through my second time taking the class.

You have to opportunity now to review the fundamentals of longform improvisation with a new teacher, and learn the Harold, the performance piece from which all longform is derived. And this new teacher happens to be me, the former director of Mister Diplomat and the current director of Tony's Pony with a mile-long resume of nothing but awesome.

So, to summarize, you'll get:

- access to my knowledge and experience, heretofore only available to the house teams
- experience playing the Harold, which should be a part of every improviser's skillset
- two performance opportunities at Inside Improv, which is always awesome

You'd be crazy to pass that up if you're serious about becoming the best improviser you can be. You have to keep your skills sharp, you have to keep performing, and you have to keep seeking out new perspectives on the art. And this is going to be six solid weeks of awesome.

CoreyBrown
November 12, 2003, 01:36 PM
I endorse this product and/or event.

EthanK
November 12, 2003, 02:28 PM
I want to. But I'll be in the middle of 202. I thought one would end and I could jump right into Jennings-time, but alas the class scheduling didn't work that way. Will you be teaching it again? Soon?

Ross White
November 12, 2003, 03:31 PM
DSI will have a lot of Jennings-related content to offer in the coming years. When he moves to North Carolina.

The best way that you can ensure that you have a continuous stream of classes from the teachers you want is to promote the theater's class system. The more people we have entering the program and completing our first two levels, the more advanced classes we will be able to offer to the people who are eligible for our 303- and 404-level classes.

Another way that you can ensure that we continue to offer you all the Jennings you want is to register early for classes. When we know we have critical masses, we can often move quickly to enlist extra instructors to fill that demand.

Finally, if you're eligible for this 303-L and you don't take it, even if you've taken a 303-L equivalent before... you ain't had it Jennings-style. Scott's background makes him a unique teacher in the DSI system, and he can teach you loads about the Harold. And if you "don't like Harold," you are depriving yourself of one of the most challenging and complex forms in longform. You're going to be seeing Harold a lot on the DSI stage in the coming years.

Jennings
November 13, 2003, 11:08 PM
When he moves to North Carolina.

Ah. I knew I was forgetting something.

The plan is to be there before this class starts, my friends, since my engine burns too much oil to countenance two weekly trips down the Improv Highway.

Take my class! I'll be local!

PT
November 15, 2003, 12:24 AM
Can it be guaranteed that during the "Jenning's Experience" I will have a new knowledge of self and well being for other men. Can the "Jenning's Experience" teach me that the most sacred things in life, are love and helping others in need. Will I master the confidence needed to stand on a stage and show the world of what I am capaple of?!

If not then I'll take the Harold and long form thing instead. Either way I'll still be able to have Scott as my teacher.

P.S. For best oil, use Castrol Oil!

Kit's Alter Ego
November 15, 2003, 06:53 AM
Can the "Jenning's Experience" teach me that the most sacred things in life, are love and helping others in need.

If by 'love and helping others in need' you mean 'poker and kicking ass and taking names,' then I'd say yes.

--Kit

PS: 'The Jenning's Experience' sounds like a Disney theme park ride, possibly 3-d theater where they spray real water on the audience and actually shake the chairs.

Zach
November 18, 2003, 05:53 PM
IMPROV 303L :: HAROLD
Taught by Scott Jennings (UCBT / Mister Diplomat)

Everyone who has taken IMPROV 101 and IMPROV 202 should take this class. You will learn and drill the basics of the longform framework that is Harold. If you have taken another longform class, the DSI 303L intensive, or are currently rehearsing with a longform group you are the lucky ones that will be able to take full advantage of a teacher who can give you personal feedback in a class that DSI limits to 12. Learning and Mastering Harold are two things every improviser should strive for (All DSI Longform House Teams perform Harold when formed). DSI classes will continue to give students quality instruction at the most affordable rates possible. Compare to $225/$300 for eight weeks in Chicago and New York.

Email info@dirtysouthimprov.com to register.
submit your full name, improv experience, and phone number.

Tuesdays 7-10pm
DATES: Dec 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th; Jan 6th
COST: $75

PAYMENT
Make checks payable to DSI
DSI Training Center :: PO Box 1330 Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Pay online using Paypal.
http://www.dirtysouthimprov.com
click Training Center and Registration

** class tuition payments are non-refundable
** class tuition may be transferable between sessions
** teachers may change due to availability