PDA

View Full Version : Dissertation defense

melanie
May 25, 2004, 03:29 PM
Yay! My dissertation is done! Improv was such a huge help in getting it done, you all are invited to my dissertation defense. I promise I won't trap any of you into an equation (this is a reference to the Destroy All Monsters performance last Saturday!)

The details:

http://www.haus-und-grund-datteln.de/images/professor.jpg

Melanie's Dissertation Defense
Latina Immigrants, Bridge Persons, and Utilization of Preventive Health Services
Thursday, June 3
Carolina Population Center, conference room 425 East.
Time: 2:00pm (but please arrive at least 10mn ahead of time so we can settle in!)

Directions: The Carolina Population Center is in University Square, close to the intersection of Franklin St. and Airport Rd., across the street from Caribou Coffee and Kinko's. At University Square, take the breezeway next to the CCB bank and go through the glass doors next to the barber shop. Take the elevator to the 4th floor, take a right out of the elevator, it's around the corner and down the hall a bit. If you are driving, you can either take your chances with the tow-happy security folks at University Square (chances are you'll be OK, but I don't guarantee it), or park in the pay parking lot across the street (entrance to the parking lot is on Rosemary St.)

My presentation will last 20mn. There will also be a 10mn intro from my advisor and time for questions from committee and audience. Then we'll all get kicked out of the room while the committee deliberates, and I'll be called back in for a closed session for 30-45mn...that part is really boring for friends and family, you don't have to stay for it.

Just so you know, NO refreshments will be provided...It's traditional for doctoral students to organize refreshments for committee members and guests, but my department has a rule against it (it's too much like a bribe). If I pass, we can go out for drinks after.

ilaughatme
May 25, 2004, 03:55 PM
Good luck, Melanie! I'm sorry I can't come. I'll be at work!

Jo Jo
May 26, 2004, 10:55 AM
sorry, i'll be out of town, but i rememeber you talking about it that one night and i reccomend that people go, it's really interesting! but, i'm sure you'll do great!

---joanna