View Full Version : DSI Bring your Own Meat Party

Ross White
April 26, 2004, 03:57 PM
http://www.rosswhite.com/archives/may2ndcookoutlow.jpg

The DSI Bring-Your-Own Meat Cookout Party
Sunday, May 2
4 PM until Heidi boots you out
Efird Estates: 1217 Odyssey Drive in Durham

Come and celebrate all of DSI's awesomeness with a back porch cookout and video power hour assembled by DSI's Erik Martin! We'll have a bunch of cheap domestic beer in the cooler (feel free to bring your nice brand if you're a SNOB), and we'll have the grill fired up out back, and we'll have chips and some of that other stuff.

You've probably finished exams, or at least, classes. Or you've finished the weekend, and you can go back to work the next day. Who cares what you've finished? We're celebrating it.

Among the celebs who promise to be in attendance: Dave Siegel and Laura Pyatt!

Be there!

EthanK
April 26, 2004, 04:00 PM
Well fuck. I'm stuck in the house that day waiting for the electrician. Fuck.

edit: Nevermind, the dude should be there by 5 at the latest. I'll be there, if a little bit late.

KatyJack
April 26, 2004, 04:03 PM
ill be working on my senior project. maybe ill pop by for a few minutes while kinkos puts the finishing touches on it.

Lisa P
April 26, 2004, 05:09 PM
I would love to join in the carnage! Would Yuengling be included in your definition of cheap domestic beer, it being both cheap and domestic?

ilaughatme
April 26, 2004, 05:13 PM
Dave Siegel's going to be there?!?! I almost want to cancel my trip to Orlando! Almost.

Oats
April 26, 2004, 05:14 PM
I will definitely be there!

melanie
April 26, 2004, 06:25 PM
I plan to participate in the carnage by bringing my own veggie-burgers. GRRR!!!! Texturized soy protein doesn't stand a chance against me.

Jeff Sconce
April 26, 2004, 08:00 PM
Ah-HA! Melanie, Mike, Paul, Zack, and myself. Vegetarians will have the run of DSI in no time!

PT
April 26, 2004, 08:41 PM
Can I bring my collection od f stamps? I'm supposed to work on my stamp collection that day and I cant miss out! So as long as I can bring my stamps, I will forever be grateful and young.

Lisa P
April 26, 2004, 10:10 PM
Ah-HA! Melanie, Mike, Paul, Zack, and myself. Vegetarians will have the run of DSI in no time!Not me! Give me food with a face and parents.

heidi
April 27, 2004, 08:01 AM
Had I been in charge of the advertising/marketing campaign I would not have been so blind and discriminatory towards those "vegan" and "vegetarian" or "otherwise non-carnage stomaching" people (I was one previously) -apologies Melanie and the others less brave to speak up. Please fight the power!

But of course I was not consulted. ;)

So it is really Sunday Cookout Carnage*

* or carnage substitute

heidi
April 27, 2004, 08:02 AM
oh and Mike, Paul, Zack, and Jeff (who aren't afraid to speak up or be nominated). I didn't read all the way down.

Ben Moser
April 27, 2004, 09:28 AM
All of this vegetarian nonsense makes my heart hurt more than steak ever will.

Lisa P
April 27, 2004, 09:36 AM
Hey, will the guy in the back with the mullet be there?

hueypriest
April 27, 2004, 12:40 PM
that is my Cousin Ron. He lives in Blacksburg, Va. I doubt he will be able to make the trip (he has two kids now), but I will ask. He still loves a cookout, but he no longer has a mullet.

Lisa P
April 27, 2004, 01:26 PM
that is my Cousin Ron. He lives in Blacksburg, Va. I doubt he will be able to make the trip (he has two kids now), but I will ask. He still loves a cookout, but he no longer has a mullet.No mullet? Never mind, then. Mullets are just so hot.

Dave Siegel
April 27, 2004, 09:32 PM
Ross White booked me for this event without prior consent.

That being said, sounds like a blast. Anyone out there know how to cook "beer butt chicken"? Its something you do on the grill and a culinary tactic I've always wanted to try.

Basically you shove an empty beer can up the dump hole of a chicken and roast it over medium heat on the grill. The can up the dump hole helps the heat radiate and cook the meat faster.

Beer butt it up!

Ben Moser
April 27, 2004, 10:06 PM
if you do it right, you can also cook veggies in the can to go with your chicken. the point of all this is, of course, that you should be grilling something that used to be a cow anyway.

Lisa P
April 27, 2004, 11:19 PM
I'm going to grill this:
http://www.all-creatures.org/poetry/calf-l.jpg

or possibly this:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ppHDWpxWyYUJ:mark.asci.ncsu.edu/images/

Zack Bly
April 29, 2004, 07:14 AM
Would Yuengling be included in your definition of cheap domestic beer, it being both cheap and domestic?

This blows my mind, Lisa. I've been aware of Yuengling for three years now and I've never figured out how exactly a brewery with an admittedly (right?) Eastern-sounding name got to be the oldest brewery in the United States. We're the West, people!

Lisa P
April 29, 2004, 08:42 AM
Would Yuengling be included in your definition of cheap domestic beer, it being both cheap and domestic?

This blows my mind, Lisa. I've been aware of Yuengling for three years now and I've never figured out how exactly a brewery with an admittedly (right?) Eastern-sounding name got to be the oldest brewery in the United States. We're the West, people!I always assumed it was Eastern European, but you would be the guy to know that, so I guess not. Actually, just the other day someone told me it's an old High-German name.

CohenFridge
April 29, 2004, 11:02 AM
Wasn't German almost the national language when the colonies broke off from the British empire?

That making the German name make sense as being the oldest American brewery.

Kit's Alter Ego
April 29, 2004, 11:25 AM
That's like saying England's oldest bakeries should be French.

--Kit

CoreyBrown
April 29, 2004, 11:49 AM
This just in.....If Ross and I get off our collective asses and find a good set there might be some brand new horse shoe pits to play in. So start practicing your technique cause I'll put a ringer around your neck before you can scream POINT!

ooh my geez
April 29, 2004, 12:16 PM
i would like to add another thing about the meat party that has nothing to do with meat. . .

the big big parking lot next to ross's house means that everyone should bring their rollerblades/skates!

that's all thanks.

heidi
April 30, 2004, 11:42 AM
Just an FYI - in case the thunderstorms/rain happen on Sunday, Ross says we will still be grillin' - but in the garage

(Ross says he is totally not marrying me just for the garage. I still have my doubts!)

However the rollerblading and horseshoe throwing might only be for those who are too hardcore for rain to get in their way! :)

CoreyBrown
April 30, 2004, 11:55 AM
I swear this. If I have dug pits on Saturday, I shall be playing on Sunday. No way GOD can stop horseshoes!

Zack Bly
April 30, 2004, 01:51 PM
Actually, just the other day someone told me it's an old High-German name.

Would you believe me if I told you that by "eastern sounding" I actually meant Chinese? But High German is just as well, I guess...

Lisa P
April 30, 2004, 02:30 PM
Zack - I understood you to mean Chinese, because everybody always says that. Will you be there Sunday, grilling things that were never alive?

PT
April 30, 2004, 04:58 PM
Im bringing a snake.

To grill I mean.

Not to show off to people

To grill

Zack Bly
April 30, 2004, 09:47 PM
Zack - I understood you to mean Chinese, because everybody always says that. Will you be there Sunday, grilling things that were never alive?

Lisa -- man, does't this feel like we're already at some kind of party, having a conversation of our own off in a corner somewhere? Yes, I'm planning on attending, and technically I won't be grilling things that were ever alive. You see, the soya bean is in fact, part of a living thing, but not a living thing on its own....so I guess....well....hmmm....I don't know.....

Ross White
May 2, 2004, 11:21 AM
Rain or shine! COOKOUT!

stardustsparklin
May 2, 2004, 11:33 AM
zac, my fellow vegetarian friend,

the soy plant is indeed alive. along with every necessary part of the plant. much the same as a pig's intestinal track is alive before it is removed and neatly packaged as yummy hot dogs.

viva les légumes!

- kevin

Zack Bly
May 3, 2004, 10:32 AM
Rain or shine! COOKOUT!

And so it was.

Thanks a lot, Heidi and Ross, for having an awesome blast at su casa. Whee!

Kit's Alter Ego
May 3, 2004, 11:25 AM
I also had an unbelievable amount of fun.

Props to Power Hour, and not just because of the alcohol part.

--Kit

Lisa P
May 3, 2004, 11:37 AM
I, too, had mad, mad fun. Thanks, Ross & Heidi.