PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUS POST ABOUT GERMANY

Zack Bly
April 17, 2004, 12:09 PM
Disclaimer: This topic is not improv related, but it's also decidedly not "play" related, because I am asking you all a serious question.

So I got this pen-pal letter in the mail this morning from a young lady living in central-western Germany. I was wondering if you all might help me out a little, because she asked me a tricky question that I'm not quite sure how to answer by myself.

What do you think about Germany? Not what do you think other Americans think, but you yourself? We all have our opinions, and this is one venue where they matter. Please comment and explain how you feel about this powerful nation. If you don't feel comfortable airing your opinion in public, send me a personal message. All comments are greatly appreciated.

The poll at the top, I must admit, was sort of just a ploy to suck you in and read this post, but you can take that seriously too, because the poll question is actually what she asked me in her letter.

EthanK
April 17, 2004, 12:18 PM
It's a tough question to answer. You're right. I would like to see the view as positive, since I'm a forgive and forget kind of guy and WWII was so long ago, but all the news you hear coming out of Germany isn't too promising - namely hate crimes. There aren't many times you hear "things are great in Germany" but then again things only make the news when they're bad. I know some Germans and expatriat Germans and I've found them to be pretty nice, if a little on the loud side. My overall opinion of the country is "eh, Germany. Weird place, but still cool." Not everyone shares this opinion.

KatyJack
April 17, 2004, 02:26 PM
i like german sausage. other than that, i know little to nothing about germany or whats going on. so, i guess my opinion is pretty neutral, leaning towards positive because i sure love that sausage.

jillybee72
April 17, 2004, 05:10 PM
I have a friend who's German, and my sister-in-law is German. They're both extremely dear to me. This colors my view positively.

ilaughatme
April 17, 2004, 11:06 PM
From what I hear about Germany, I want to go there. It's a country rich with history. It's also one of (if not THE) richest country in Europe. Finally, it has castles on the Reine. Dude, I love castles.

So, maybe the food doesn't sound too enticing but the castles and history and nice living standards do.

Andi
April 18, 2004, 01:43 PM
I shared a flat with a German girl while I was on study abroad. She and her German friends were fun, cool people who were very politically aware and intelligent. I forgive them for their SUCKY SUCKY music.

In summary, I have a positive opinion of young Germans, but a negative opinion of their blaring techno.

jillybee72
April 18, 2004, 03:55 PM
Rammstien is the best band ever. I can't believe I forgot to say that. I genuinely love them, I'm not trying to stick a bit in the middle of this thread that clearly asked for us to be serious.

The Dynamo
April 18, 2004, 11:43 PM
I dunno, the Germans always seem so angry with all that phlegm in their voices. but they make good beer, so I guess that makes up for that silly Nazi business.

Zack Bly
April 20, 2004, 08:35 PM
A big thanks to everyone for you comments. Most helpful. I have found (through other sources as well) that most people either don't have a specific beef with the Germans, or they actually admire the progressive stance they take on some issues. I'm sure S_____ will be pleased.

EthanK
April 20, 2004, 08:38 PM
Odd that you say that, 99 Luftballoons is on the setlist this weekend for my show in NY. And yes, I'm doing some in German.

Zack Bly
April 21, 2004, 09:03 AM
German bands that are awesome:

-Nena (of 99 Luftballons fame)
-Die Toten Hosen (LOOK THEM UP!!)
-Kraftwerk (the originators...the originals)

I can't say I hear much Rammstein. Alas (?)

heidi
May 4, 2004, 11:45 AM
Are you asking what people imagine about Germany or the Germans they have ever met? Or are you asking what did you think about Germany (if you have been there?)

I think you definately should separate the two. Experiencing (even if short) is different than making decisions based on your contact or news you hear.

Zack Bly
May 4, 2004, 05:21 PM
The thing was that she just asked what Americans thought about Germans and Germany, so I figured I would go for a catch-all kind of an answer for a catch-all kind of a question.

The letter's been sent, so we'll see if she needs (or wants!) any more specifics when her letter comes back. But I guess that doesn't mean that the discussion is necessarily over.

So everyone, if you've been to Germany, how different was the experience for you than you thought it would be? Were you surprised by much, or were you pretty much accurate in your suspiscions?

Discuss.