PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving.

Porter Mason
March 21, 2004, 01:21 PM
Well, friends, some of you already know this, but I'll be moving back up to New York in about a week and a half. I'm sad to leave DSI and all of you, but I'm also excited at being back up in the City, too.

My few months here have been great and have been made great by all of you in this community. Thank you. Perhaps I will be back down here again one day. I'd like to think that.

And, of course, if any of you are ever in New York, please look me up.

porter [at] tjmonkeys.com
(646) 298-6273

CohenFridge
March 21, 2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the help you have given the student improvisers of DSI.

You will be missed...and visited!

- Bryan

PT
March 21, 2004, 02:50 PM
Yeah Porter, like the sands through the hour glass, you have been the past days of our lives.....in the sense of when you're around for more than an hour.....hmmm yeah!

ilaughatme
March 21, 2004, 03:57 PM
Just like a Dukie to go and leave us.

Jeff Sconce
March 21, 2004, 04:34 PM
You have a special place in the annals of DSI history now...as well as one in our hearts.

melanie
March 21, 2004, 11:35 PM
You can't leave! I'm only just getting to know you...Come on...What could New York possibly have that Chapel Hill doesn't?

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Oh.

melanie
March 21, 2004, 11:36 PM
You can't leave! I'm only just getting to know you...Come on...What could New York possibly have that Chapel Hill doesn't?

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Oh.

PT
March 22, 2004, 12:26 AM
haha, you posted twice, you must really not want Porter to go!

PT
March 22, 2004, 12:27 AM
haha, you posted twice, you must really not want Porter to go!

Crap!

Zack Bly
March 22, 2004, 06:31 AM
if only posting twice were the key to getting him to stay.

Zack Bly
March 22, 2004, 06:31 AM
if only posting twice were the key to getting him to stay.

Jennings
March 22, 2004, 10:44 AM
Pretty weak, Mason.

Still, I personally wish you the best. A "from me to you" sort of thing. Perhaps you'll finally get to do all those exciting New York things, like waste away your cruel self-parody of an existance in the back room of McManus, nursing $5 pints of Yuengling while you hear about who saw who at today's commercial audition, and feigning excitement over who booked what spot. And then you can go over to the fabled UCB Theatre, stroll to the green room, gaze up on the posters and photographs of the legends of underground comedy, do a whip-it or two, and pass out until morning. Then you can wake up the next day, stumble to the train, draw a deep breath of fresh subway air, and fight your way to your office, where no one will give a shit about your personal artistic struggle or who you are as a person -- just give me that report, Coggy McCoginthewheel. And then fast forward through your $12 deli lunch and your soul-sapping afternoon and cut straight to this practice group you get to coach, where you try in vain to impress upon these young minds the importance of what they're doing here. Too bad that the practice group is half "aspiring actor who takes these improv classes because they're hot" and half "aspiring stand-up/SNL-superstar/put-me-on-a-Harold-team-or-Conan-now," and no one's taking your notes, they're just spending three hours on their feet "generating material." Yeah man, then you can follow them back to McManus, where you'll promptly ditch them because there's a seat at Jocko's table. Sounds like a blast.

You have fun with that, Porter. Come back and see us sometime, ok?

Dave Siegel
March 22, 2004, 11:03 AM
christ jennings.

good luck up there porter. thanks for stopping by our part of town for a little while. keep your eye out for us up there for the DCM this summer.

Adios.

-Dave

CoreyBrown
March 22, 2004, 11:51 AM
Strange enough to me, what Jennings posted sounds fun to me.

Can I fit in your suit case Porter?

Porter Mason
March 22, 2004, 12:33 PM
Actually, I HAVE done what Jennings outlined in the past. It's not fun. At least, sometimes it's not.

But this time, I won't be doing all that. My involvement in the UCB community will be on a very limited level this go-round, if at all. I'm still keeping the cartooning as my number one thingie for a while. I definitely won't be coaching as much as I have been down here.

Thanks for all the kind words from all but two of you. And to Jennings and CeCe, thanks for the type of words that I've grown to expect from you. You two wrap your love in venom-laced giftwrap as always. Way to commit!

suzmacimprov
March 22, 2004, 12:44 PM
Porter,
Selfishly, I'm sorry to hear that you are returning to the Big Apple. I really enjoyed your teaching style in 202: I enjoyed your impatience with 'too much talking' (and zest to get us playing), your razor-sharp insights, and your appreciation for our efforts.

Selflessly, I wish you the very best in life: laughter, good health, prosperity, and love! Please do keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Suzanne MacDonough

CoreyBrown
March 22, 2004, 01:03 PM
I'll miss Porter. He's taught me more in this short amount of time than anyone I know. Good luck getting home.

http://chessy.novusopiate.com/porter.jpg

ilaughatme
March 22, 2004, 01:21 PM
I can't speak for Jennings, but my inability to tell you that I love you and will miss you and wish that I could have known you better somehow ends up as a big "Goddamn you, Porter."

You're awesome. And I tell everyone that. Ask anyone I've told that. I'm like, "That guy? Yeah, he's Porter. And he's awesome. And he cheers for Duke. Asshole. Don't bother with him. Even though he's incredibly sweet and an awesome improviser. He's awesome but don't waste your time."

Jennings
March 22, 2004, 02:47 PM
I'm a prick, so I'm wiping this away. The first post, that was brilliant satire, that stays. This one went too far, so away it goes.

Porter Mason
March 22, 2004, 03:30 PM
CeCe and Scott, I reread what I posted above, and it sounded way snippier than what I meant. I'm sorry. I love the both of you guys.

Lisa P
March 22, 2004, 03:43 PM
[mom voice]I am sorry to have to do this, Porter, but you're not going anywhere. You are grounded. I don't want to hear another word about it. Unpack your things, young man, and stay right where you are.[/mom voice]

Seriously, Porter. Best of luck. Please come to visit us as often as you can, and come teach a class sometime, 'cause I totally missed out on that.

PT
March 22, 2004, 04:03 PM
[teenage surfer dude voice] Porter I think what your doing is totally killer! I mean, dude, come on, NYC! It's the place where all the babes hang out! NYC has hookers and Virgin Record stores everywhere! If I was Porter Mason, I would be moving to NYC. If I was Porter Mason, I'd totally get a car that screamed "BLAZIN HOT WINGS, 12 FOR 3 DOLLARS!!" Yet than again, I have to remember that I am not Porter Mason. *sigh* oh well, buy a hooker...I mean CD at Virgin Records for me Port Man!! [/teenage surfer dude voice]

Callie
March 22, 2004, 04:05 PM
I'll really miss you Porter! You were so influential in keeping me interested in improv, and I want to thank you so much for that. Also to let you know that I hate you for leaving, and that you'd better get your ass back to Chapel Hill every so often. Because I have big friends in New York. Big friends named Tony and Angry Mike.

Thanks for everything, Porter.

Richard White
March 22, 2004, 07:12 PM
Somebody move over so I can jump on this bandwagon. Scott, to the buckboard! While you're at it, pass me the hand lotion you've all been using to stroke Porter's cock as though he were whiling away a half hour and a day's wages in some hand job honey hut. Remember to cup the balls!

Porter, good luck, have fun with whatever the hell you'll be doing, and perhaps if you're lucky, you'll see me up there sometime in the future, depending on my "Apprentice" audition. Later.

KatyJack
March 22, 2004, 08:44 PM
look, porter, you only think youre moving back to new york. you WILL stay here, one way or another.

i have a basement with a lock on the door. thats all im saying.

Andrew
March 23, 2004, 10:13 AM
Damn you, Porter Mason, Damn you!

I feel like riding my moped through the living room and soiling your favorite rug.

Why? Why? mmmphh...mmmphh...why God, whhyyyyyyy? *snif*

Zach
March 23, 2004, 10:32 AM
Dear Porter,

When Ross told me that you were interested in coming down to teach a Documentary class I was wicked excited. When you said you were thinking about moving to Chapel Hill I was psyched. When you rented an apartment basically on Franklin Street, taught Level 2, DSI students gushed, and I was proud to have you a part of the management staff. I am thrilled that you have seen up close what the North Carolina improv community has to offer (which included you for a while and still will when you need a vacation or if you and Jane want a crazy supportive place to play... wink, nudge, cough).

Anyway, good luck. I wish our time could have overlapped more, but DSI should always feel lucky having had you for as long as they did. I completely understand why you're leaving. **Eliott Smith begins to play while Porter drives off into distance**

stardustsparklin
March 25, 2004, 10:52 AM
thanks for everything porter. i wish you the best.

- kevin

Roonie
March 26, 2004, 08:23 AM
Everybody wish Porter goodbye tonight at Inside Improv in his farewell show as he performs with the irrepressible TJ Monkey's cast.

L'il G
March 26, 2004, 08:30 AM
I'm really sad to see you go, Porter. But that's a good thing, because it shows how much of an impact you had on DSI, Mister Diplomat and even myself. Thanks for being such an awesome coach, improviser, person and friend. We all wish you the absolute best.

Greg