PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what I should do or see in New York

Dana S
March 2, 2004, 11:23 PM
Okay, so I've never been to New York. Actually, I've never technically been north of Virginia. But that's about to change. In exactly 1 month from today I'm FINALLY going to go to New York. I'm only going to be there for 3 days (I think it's April 3rd, 4th and 5th which is a Saturday, Sunday and Monday) so I'm not going to have enough time to figure out for myself what's cool and what sucks.

So here's the moment for all you have been to New York to shine: tell me what the cosmic things to do in New York are. The only thing we have planned is we're going to go see the Producers (if you know me you've probably heard me go on and on about how excited I am) on Broadway. So help me out: food, shopping (I promised to bring my sister back something cool so help with where to shop would be much appreciated), improv (I have a general idea, but times and stuff would help), monuments, music, whatever. I want to know beforehand so I can cram as much stuff as possible into those 3 days.

All advice and pointer/tips would be much appreciated.

~Dana

Meljo
March 3, 2004, 12:08 AM
http://www.ucbt.net

go wild, little lady. :D

I reccomend Respecto Montalban on Saturday night, and Asssscat shows on sunday nights NEVER dissapoint.

MAKE SURE you get a reservation.

Weekend shows are $7, but totally worth every penny, and you'll have a kickass time.

Have fun at the Producers! I saw it in previews in 2002, and it was awesome!

xoxo
Mel

ilaughatme
March 3, 2004, 12:42 AM
I like shopping down by Madison Square Garden. I can't remember what that area is but they have a Zara and an H&M down there. Awesome Spanish and Swedish imports respectively that aren't that expensive.

Fun attraction that I LOVE: THE UN!

Central Park and the merry-go-round.

Guggenheim. The Met. And MOMA (I've never been to MOMA though).

The Village for the atmosphere.

Try to go see a show being taped if at all possible. You can try and reserve tickets (for free) to such things as Letterman. You may have to be 18 for most of them, though.

Don't go to Carnegie Deli. Not worth it.

Instead of going on the Circle Line, go on the Statten Island Ferry. You can see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty from there. Best done at night. Plus, it's free.

If you're afraid of heights, go to the top of the Empire State Building.

Fifth Avenue for shopping and stopping by pretty much everywhere. Times Square because it's Times Square.

Padraic
March 3, 2004, 03:11 AM
Check out Washington Square Park. They have street performers there all the time, and you can catch some pretty amazing acts. There's no fee (unless you feel like donating), so it's easy on the wallet, too! If you're lucky, you can catch Master Lee doing his act. He's been there since my first visit to NYC back in 1996, and on my last visit he was STILL THERE with a whole new act. Love that guy.

If you're looking to see some shows, check out De La Guarda (assuming it's still running). It's a life changing experience.

The building interiors are beautiful, especially in city buildings. The NYC Public Library's reading rooms are huge and gorgeous. And they filmed Ghostbusters there!

I highly recommend The Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum (http://ndm.si.edu/). It's a branch of the Smithsonian that's taken residence in Andrew Carnegie's old pad. The exhibits are surprising, and you learn the reasoning behind company logos and ad campaigns. For example, FedEx changed their logo to the current design because they thought the italicized letters, which indicate motion, were unprofessional-looking. However, to still subconsciously indicate movement, they kept the letters crammed together to make an arrow out of the space between the "E" and the "x." See?
http://images.fedex.com/images/globalhome/globalhome_fedex_corp_logo.gif

I hope these suggestions are helpful! I'll keep more coming if you want them.

Padraic
March 3, 2004, 03:14 AM
Just thought of one more thing... it's horribly touristy, but more than worth it...

The Jekyll & Hyde Club (http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/) and the Jekyll & Hyde Pub (http://www.jekyllpub.com/index1.html) are a lot of silly fun.

Jennings
March 3, 2004, 07:42 AM
Dana,

We'll talk. We have much to discuss.

For example, three days... call it eight or nine meals. We have major categories to hit: pizza, Thai, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Middle Eastern, greasy spoon, hot dog stand... don't shortchange yourself. This is New York.

As the time grows closer and April schedules start to get published, we can map out your improv schedule. You should see ASSSSCAT, but shell out for the 7pm show and get reservations, you don't have the time to waste waiting in line for the free show.

Wear comfortable shoes. There is much walking to do. We'll sit down with a map and plot you a walking tour. I have a mental image of Dana Soady in Chinatown that makes me smile.

There are way too many museums for the amount of time you have. But I have a ridiculous love affair with the Museum of Television and Radio in Midtown, right around Rockefeller Center and all of that. I could spend days in their library. And sure, the Met and the Museum of Natural History and whatnot.

Oh, there is much to discuss. Talk to me.

Zack Bly
March 3, 2004, 09:01 AM
So here's the moment for all you have been to New York to shine: tell me what the cosmic things to do in New York are.

it's interesting that you worded that in this way, because cosmic cantina actually has a franchise in new york city.

that's the only thing i know about new york.

Meljo
March 3, 2004, 03:02 PM
Try to go see a show being taped if at all possible. You can try and reserve tickets (for free) to such things as Letterman. You may have to be 18 for most of them, though.

Letterman is 18, and they're really strict about it, but Conan is 16, and a lot more fun.

PT
March 3, 2004, 06:37 PM
Okay Dana screw what every one else is saying, they're all crazy! You want to do something really awesome (awesome)!

Go to 94th street and 2nd Avenue and walk all the way to the Village (Roughly 100 blocks). I'm talking a 2 hour walk from one end of Manhattan to the other! I did it last summer and it was awesome! I got so side tracked though, that was the beauty! I shopped and discovered places and things about NYC that I never could by simply shopping.

Do the tourist stuff yes I agree, so to Madison Sg Garden, you'll see my name ecthed on the side of the doors that lead into it, in the main front entrance.

Go to Macy's!

Go to FAO!!

Go to the museums!!!

Go to UCB!!!!

Have fun at Producers!!!!!

But man o man, I promise you, you will see the true NYC if you just walk, and best part about walking, is it's free!!!!!!

Do it in the day time, I did it twice. When I walked at night it turned it "After Hours" starring Griffen Dunne.

If you've never seen After Hours, wait for my review.!!!!!!!!

Tom McCudden
March 4, 2004, 08:36 PM
Are they still selling Belgian French fries in paper cones from little hole-in-the-wall shops in the theater district? No better grease can be had.

Speaking of which, every day, line up for TKTS cheap theater tiks. Avoid musicals and anything with the word "spectacle" in the reviews. Stick to Shakespeare, Stoppard, Mamet, and British imports.

Be sure to take the self-guided walking tour of Harlem after Midnight.

dunford
March 4, 2004, 09:13 PM
I was born and raised in NYC. I can throw you some hints.

NYC is a walking town. You're going to want to do some walking. My recommendation is that you take the A or C subway train to High Street (first stop in Brooklyn) and then walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge. It will blow your mind, and you can walk at your own pace (in other, more congested places, if you don't walk fast enough you will be trampled by disgruntled lemming-like pedestrians). You will love this, methinks.

Also, if you want great NYC deli food - 2nd Avenue Deli, on Houston Street. Pastrami so good, it will make your momma cry.

Otherwise, listen to Scott Jennings. He seems weird, but he knows exactly what the deal is.

-dunford

Ben Moser
March 4, 2004, 10:33 PM
jeckyl and hyde is the same people who run the night gallery, correct? that place was gotharific.

I've sadly not been to NY since I started even hearing about improv, so I have no hip shows for you to see.

Wait. I did go. But only for a day to do the new year's eve times square thing. Now that I can say I've done it, I'll never do it again.

Dave Siegel
March 5, 2004, 06:23 PM
Dana,

First off I love CeCe Garcia but when it comes to Reuben sandwhiches and strawberry cheesecake...she's obviously a moron. The Carnegie Deli is worth every cent.

I walked past the Cosmic Cantina when I was up there in October and they actually offer discounts with Duke or UNC student ID's...so borrow someone's OneCard for a cool local discount.

If they're playing while you're in town, see THE SWARM at the ucb theater. To this date the smoothest most "transcendent" improv I've ever seen performed....aside from Jennings' shortform during the jam last weekend.

Also, I recomend making it downtown and seeing the WTC sight. One of the most powerful and grounding experiences of my life, and I just drove by it.

HAVE FUN!

-Dave

Dana S
April 8, 2004, 06:56 PM
Thank you guys so much for all the pointers although unfortunately due to the severe lack of time...most of your suggestions were ignored (but not because I didn't want to follow your advice) when I go there for college (with any luck I'll be going to college in NYC) I will make a check list and do all of these things first. But on to what I did do!!!!

We flew in Saturday night, checked into our hotel and then my Great Aunt took us to the tavern on the green, where they sang to me because it was my birthday....or will be soon. Then Sunday morning I walked aroud our hotel (we were on 6th avenue) in order to buy an autograph book...should the opportunity present itself. Then we went to Sardi's (sardi's!) and spent the whole time trying to figure out who the celebrity hidden away in the corner was. Then it was producer time! This play was the single best experience of my entire life, period, the end. Then afterwards I ran to the backstage door just in time to see Sarah Jessica Parker run past (she gave me her autograph!) Then all the fans were herded behind barricades...except for Dana....who nobody thought needed to move. Nathan Lane left after signing like 4 autographs despite poor Dana saying "please Mr Lane I've come all the way from North Carolina!" But then out came Matthew Broderick, who not only signed my program but talked to me and took a picture with me. I am now the proud owner of a signed playbill and a photograph of me and Matthew frickin Broderick. Plus I got 7 other autographs from other people in the play. Sunday I went to H&M (CeCe is correct in that this is one of the coolest stores ever!) And then I went to Macy's and got a prom dress! It's pink.

Matthew Broderick is my hero. I still can't believe it...I keep looking at the picture to make sure it's real.

New York City is the greatest city in the world.