PDA

View Full Version : Review of "Shine"

PT
January 28, 2004, 12:28 AM
Winner of 5 academy awards, including best Actor for Geoffrey Rush, Shine is a movie about the human spirit and also of how the spirit can dwindle. A man in his forties, David Helfgott (Geoffrey Rush), stumbles into a wine bar after getting lost one night in the rain. Although he is wildly eccentric, David charms the bar's owner who takes him back home. There David, for one reason or another, takes a look back to his childhood which spans the 1950's to the 1980's. This movie gets deeply dramatic in the moving way in which Helfgott, after a decade of obscurity, achieves both personal and professional fulfillment through the love and support of the people around him. Although this is one aspect of the movie, there are others, this movie has layers, like a great Onion, it will make you cry, then make you feel good. Uh, yeah! Based on the ultimately triumphant life of classical pianist David Helfgott, Shine focuses on Helfgott's painful retreat into a private world, mostly caused by his father, while still in his early 20's and on the brink of a glittering international career. This movie was impressive in the way that all the acting was beautiful but the meaning behind it was even greater. If you have not watched it, please do.

This movie deserves a “Cowanbunga!” Rush’s performance was aw inspiring, and it just made me want to call my Mom up and say, “What did I do wrong again?”

Things I learned:
1: You’re never to old to look back on your life
2: I want to learn to play the piano
3: I’m glad I don’t have a father like David’s
4: Rachmaninoff’s Concerto number 3 will make you go insane!! Just listen to it!!

http://vclips.com/postersfast/images/posters/large/1222768673.jpg
Starring: Geoffrey Rush, Armin Muller-Stahl, Lynn Redgrave, John Gielgud, Noah Taylor. Directed by Scott Hicks. 1hr...45 Min