PDA

View Full Version : Ethan's review of Pieces

EthanK
January 24, 2004, 11:50 AM
1: DUECE: Never Again
2: NARLY: Likeable Enough
3: DATE: Good enought o bring a date to
4: COWABUNGA: One of a Kind

I'll use PT's system, good enough for me.

Alright. Pieces. A movie entitled Pieces. Now, at first glance this film sounds like the adventures of a boy and his dog.

Boy: Pieces! Piiiiiieeeeeeces!
Pieces: Arf!

But no, it's not about a dog. There was no dog, in fact. Or any animals. Just a lot of blood, boobs and bad dubbing. In other words, just like most of the movies I watch on a regular basis. But that's not to say that it's not a fun movie, which it is through a combination of the aforementioned blood and boobs.

For fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000, you will be pleased to know that cast members from Pod People make an appearance, which leads me to believe some of the crew worked on both films. This one had a more coherent plot to it that Pod People which (in a nutshell) tells the story of a rock band, an alien, a kid, and some egg poachers. It's good, watch it. Pieces is the standard "guy is killing people on a college campus with a chainsaw" film, but it does feature the guy who played Bluto in the Popeye movie as the creepy janitor with one facial expression (think:sneer). Some kid kills his mom then grows up and dismembers girls to sew them together to make some kind of patchwork woman. There's also a perky tennis player that goes undercover, a dopey kid who was the lead singer in Pod People and boobs aplenty.

My rating? I'll give it a NARLY just because it didn't fall apart under the weight of it's on contrivance. I mean, how many slashers on college campus movies are there? This was totally formulaic, but hey, some days you just want to see naked chicks and chainsaws. Sometimes even in the same scene.

Pieces: Obviously not about a dog.
http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/43/178243.jpg