PDA

View Full Version : Anyone supporting Dean in NC?

Ross White
September 10, 2003, 08:50 AM
Heidi and I have been looking more and more at Howard Dean, and we think we'd like to help out if there are NC events. Is anyone else here following Dean closely, or working with his ragtag band on NC rallies or the like?

Anonymous
September 11, 2003, 11:14 AM
I gave $25 to the Dean campaign. I don't have time to go out and do anything, but I'm talking him up to folks.

Wade Minter
September 11, 2003, 11:16 AM
I gave $25 to the Dean campaign. I don't have time to go out and do anything, but I'm talking him up to folks.

That was me, by the way. The Forums didn't log me in.

Dave Siegel
September 11, 2003, 05:56 PM
Dean is the hottest political story since John McCain. He has completely revolutionized the use of the internet in terms of grassroots organization and is set to outfundraise all his opponents, one online $25.00 donation at a time.

Dean is an interesting contrast. Not nearly as liberal as many see him, he is extremely fiscally conservative, and even leans right on issues like gun control.

Right now, he is the only candidate succesfully tapping into the "angry" voting block, those people who simply hate george w. bush viscerally.

Keep your eyes out for how Dean reacts to the entry of General Wesley Clark to the race, another man who strongly opposed the Iraq war (the stance that Dean used to gain national attention), but whose military and security credentials dwarf those of the former Vermont governor.

Ross, if you are looking for other Dean supporters in NC, the meetup.com website is the main way to network with other Deanies.

EthanK
September 18, 2003, 08:48 PM
My hope was that Clark would jump on the Dean ticket as VP, although doing so this early never looks good. If either of them gets the nomination my fingers are crossed that they pick the other as VP, like Kennedy did with Johnson. Of course, Kennedy fixed the election, so let's cut the comparison there.
Still, Dean's a-ok so far. Andi's involved.

Tayler
September 30, 2003, 09:12 PM
Hi Ross! Just wanted to let you know that Dean is discussed a lot at my office. We're pretty political sometimes, luckily for me, very liberal! My boss and I went to protest W's inauguration in the rain with a bunch of people from this area and she threw a fundraiser for him at her house about 6 weeks ago which was very successful financially. I haven't had a chance to ask her what she thinks of Clark. She's very knowledgable about politics, having read history books for fun for years. (Can't imagine!) Anyway, I also have another friend who is from Persia/Iran, who was for Dean until he found out about his stance on Israel and such. Now, this friend is ultra-political and liberal and super-knowledgable regarding politics! Probably reads 3 hours worth of political stuff per day. Recently saw his book collection and it ain't light reading! He's got them all organized into categories, kinda like I have my records organized. Anyway, you should come along to the next dinner we have with them, coz you will hear a lot of cool stuff! :-)

EthanK
October 3, 2003, 02:11 PM
I love reading History for fun! What's wrong with that? I figure I've read maybe 10 fictions in the last 3 years, including the completely awesome DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. History is the way to go, even if it is just Tom Arnold's autobiography.

Jeff Sconce
October 5, 2003, 10:35 PM
Duh! I shoulda noticed this SOONER.
Watashi wa baka desu!
Nearly everyone in Chapel Hill's GLBTSA is a Dean supporter. He had a booth at Pride Day too. I don't know that that organization is helping the fund drive, but I expect to see more public Dean support during National Coming Out Week.