PDA

View Full Version : Snowtown!!!

Porter Mason
January 9, 2004, 08:21 AM
No one told me it was going to snow!!!!

I have no TV and so I never watch the local news even for the weather, so I had NO idea it was going to snow last night!! What a great surprise. This is so fun!!! I love snow!! And I'm not afraid to use the exclamation points to show it!!!!

Porter.

L'il G
January 9, 2004, 09:26 AM
Dude, we posted our "snow" threads at the exact same time.

We are awesome.

CoreyBrown
January 9, 2004, 09:53 AM
Hey may have lost there, but I bet his finger is on his nose right now.

Porter Mason
January 9, 2004, 10:23 AM
Oh, I know about weather.com, but I have to actively go and check that. Which means I only go and check when I'm going on a trip or have some other reason to really be concerned about what the weather will be. So in general, I just have no idea what the weather will be from one day to the next. It's fun!

Jennings
January 9, 2004, 10:50 AM
It's snowing in Norfolk, too. I just looked out the window -- my car is absolutely buried. And I've never driven through snow before -- is there anything I should know?

L'il G
January 9, 2004, 11:50 AM
It's snowing in Norfolk, too. I just looked out the window -- my car is absolutely buried. And I've never driven through snow before -- is there anything I should know?

- Make sure you have a lot of tread on your tires.

- Let your car warm up for about 5-10 minutes before leaving, and make sure that every window is completely clear of snow and/or ice.

- When switching lanes and making turns, do so slowly.

- Don't let people bully you into driving any faster than you feel comfortable driving.

EthanK
January 9, 2004, 11:56 AM
Good tips, G.

I'll add:
- travel in the daytime if you can
- if you do skid, turn into the skid
- be VERY careful about what everyone else on the road is doing and avoid changing lanes if you can help it.
- overpasses and bridges freeze up so that's where you're likely to find slick spots (I learned this driving home from Lisa P's)
- slow is good. brake slow, change lanes slow, drive slow if you think it's icy.

The weather looks like it's clearing up here though.

Andi
January 9, 2004, 01:09 PM
carry kitty litter in your trunk, even if you don't have cats. it provides additional weight in the back of your car/truck, and can be sprinkled under your tires to provide traction should you get stuck in a snowbank. which realistically speaking, probably won't happen here...

snow driving tips brought to you by Andi -- 8 years experience driving in Western New York, lake effect snow capital of the world!

Zack Bly
January 9, 2004, 01:49 PM
-if you find yourself skidding, turn into the direction of the skid.

Ben Moser
January 9, 2004, 01:57 PM
Don't freak out like all the jerks from this state do when it snows and you'll be fine.

Peter O'Bryan
January 9, 2004, 02:11 PM
Be sure to clean all the snow off your car prior to leaving. Collect it all in a large garbage bag, and keep it in the car with you, running the air conditioner to keep it from melting. That way, when some damned moron hick is driving way too slow in front of you on account of all that crazy weird white shit out of the sky, you can pelt him with snowballs through your sun roof.

Ross White
January 26, 2004, 11:07 AM
Hey Porter, I caused this weekend's storm for you. I hope that was what you wanted when you told me on IM Friday, "I wish someone would make it snow all over the Triangle area, preferably on Sunday!"