PDA

View Full Version : Next book club meeting - Wicked by Gregory MacGuire

Jen OBryan
January 5, 2004, 04:24 PM
We need to pick a date and time!

How about Wednesday, Feb 4, 7 p.m., at Caribou Coffee on Franklin (not downtown CH, but the one up by Wellspring where there won't be too many people)?

Any better ideas for date, time or place?

Lisa P
January 5, 2004, 07:04 PM
I'll be in a class. Any other day that week works for me, though.

EthanK
January 5, 2004, 08:34 PM
I too will be in a class. But I agree we need a date. Mondays and Tuesdays=bad for the O'Bryans. Thursday anyone? We don't have a Blind Crazy date set yet though.

PT
January 5, 2004, 09:02 PM
I agree, Thursdays would be cool, bubt anything else but wed, class on wed

Jen OBryan
January 5, 2004, 09:10 PM
I guess we should just wait until Blind Crazy is fixed until we make a final decision, but we can tentatively plan on doing it sometime around the first week of February.

Jen OBryan
January 17, 2004, 02:38 PM
How is Friday, 2/7/04 at 6:30 p.m. :?:

Lisa P
January 17, 2004, 02:44 PM
How is Friday, 2/7/04 at 6:30 p.m. :?:Depends on where. I think I would be the only one coming from Raleigh at that hour on a weeknight, so if we could meet at 7:00 somewhere closer to where everyone else is, I could do it.

Kit's Alter Ego
January 17, 2004, 04:34 PM
Just for confusion-reduction's sake, that Friday is actually February 6.

--Kit

Lisa P
January 17, 2004, 05:24 PM
Just for confusion-reduction's sake, that Friday is actually February 6.

--KitThanks, busybody. :wink:

Brian C
January 19, 2004, 07:31 PM
Donna should be coming as well (as she is nearly done with the book and I am waiting patiently to start).

jesstah
January 20, 2004, 01:19 AM
It's lovely.

Just a warning... Dorothy kills the witch.

Or does she........?

-Jesster

EthanK
January 20, 2004, 07:20 AM
Where again?

Jen OBryan
January 20, 2004, 01:05 PM
Brian C and Donna -- Welcome to the DSI Boards! :D

Ethan -- We don't have a location firmed up yet. I had proposed Caribou on Franklin (not the one downtown, but the one closer to University Mall and Whole Foods). If you can think of a better place, maybe RTPish that would be cool since that would be halfway between CH and Raleigh. Maybe there's a good place to eat that would be conducive to conversation between a large group of people? Brian C -- can you think of anything in your area or down around Streets at Southpoint?

If anyone is *not* good with the evening of Friday 2/6, please speak up -- otherwise we can put that on the calendars.

Brian C
January 21, 2004, 09:12 AM
Can't really think of anyplace around here that would be terribly suitable. At least no place convenient.

Jen OBryan
January 21, 2004, 10:10 AM
Ideas for location:

How about Dalat in Raleigh? They have some large tables, delicious cheap food, good lighting and a good conversational atmosphere.

As far as a midpoint place, there's a Taco Bell at 55/54. Kind of nontraditional for a book club, but it's cheap and they wouldn't mind a crowd. Or Pizza Hut next door -- terrible food, but a fine setting for book clubbish conversation.

There's also the strip mall next to the Taco Bell with a Korean noodle place -- probably more crowded and formal but it might work. Or the Indian place at 55 and Sedgewick(? -- by the Eckerd's).

At Streets at Southpoint we could meet at the Food Court or Barnes and Noble. I think there are also some places across the street from there that are open now.

In Chapel Hill there's the aforementioned Caribou or we could meet in an empty classroom at UNC, or I could probably reserve a group study room in the library.

That's what I can think of :)

Brian C
January 21, 2004, 10:23 PM
Well...lots of choices. I am quite partial to the Indian place at 55 and Sedgwick...best Indian food in this neck of the woods...and Friday is the buffet dinner. If we have a head count, I can talk to the owner (we are regulars) and see if we can get separated seating in either the back area or by the bar (no one sits there much anyway) and there's no smoking.

The places at the mall are very busy on a Friday night (and only PF Changs is open across the street).

At 54/55 there are a number of places in the old Food Lion shopping center (where Big Lots is now). There is a Jamaican place (yum) and also a Peruvian (or some other such nonsense) place there as well with good food and nobody seems to ever be in there.

Another place we could consider is Jasons Deli (15-501 where the Wal Mart, Old Navy, B&N etc. are....good food and nice salad bar. It's big in there so imagine we could find enough room to chit chat.

Lisa P
January 22, 2004, 07:48 PM
All good suggestions, and I like the idea of a place we can eat, since I am probably not the only one coming straight from work with a mad hungry on.

The only time I ever ate at Jason's Deli it was really loud. On the one hand, we might not be able to talk comfortably, on the other hand, we won't disturb anybody by talking.

55/54 is kind of in the middle, so it should be easiest for everyone to get to. I've never had either Jamaican or Peruvian food and LOVE to try new things.

Shall we post a poll, or just come to a general consensus? Or I could just make an arbitrary decision and say we go to 55/54 for Jamaican or Peruvian food.

Brian Thacker
January 28, 2004, 03:00 PM
I bought the book and love it so far. I look forward to seeing you all...well, once we decide on where to go. :P

Brian Thacker

EthanK
January 28, 2004, 03:09 PM
I think posting a poll is the way to go. I have no preference food-wise, although I'm trying to stick to some kind of lo-fat diet.

I finally got to the last chapter! And it explains EVERYTHING! so far.

Brian C
January 30, 2004, 09:38 PM
Here are the choices as I understand them to be:

Starting with the premise that 54/55 is where we are meeting in general, we can eat at:

1. Very good Indian buffet (55 and Sedwick)
2. Decently good Jamaican
3. Fairly good Chilean/Argenitinian...er...South Americany thing
4. Very good Indian buffet (see #1 above)

I vote for #1 or #4, but will go along with the group.

EthanK
January 31, 2004, 12:34 PM
Soutyh American sounds good to me but I guess I could try the Indian place if the atmosphere is good for a book club.

Lisa P
January 31, 2004, 05:55 PM
Either South Americany or Indian sound good to me.

Andi
January 31, 2004, 06:26 PM

I, too, would be happy eitherway.

Lisa P
January 31, 2004, 06:33 PM

I, too, would be happy eitherway.Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone were as easy to please as Andi and I are?

Brian C
January 31, 2004, 09:44 PM
The south american place (it's in what used to be Parkside Bagel for those familiar) is, if I remember correctly, kind of expensive. Everything is platters and seems they were over priced to me....but was only there once. Food was good...I think it only has booths, so not the most conducive seating arrangement for discussing as we won't all fit in one 4 person booth.

The Indian place has buffet (plus you can order from the menu) and has good areas in the back and in the bar for a book club discussion. If that is what we end up doing I will go in advance and see if we can get a big table set up in the back.

One other option is a new Italian grill that is also in that shopping center (where Miami Subs was). Haven't been in there so don't know what the inside layout is like.

Another option is Golden Corral (between that shopping center and the Indian place).

Lisa P
February 1, 2004, 03:17 AM
Indian it is then! I love Indian, and we definately need to be able to spread out and talk.

Objections, anyone? Speak now or forever hold your peace!

EthanK
February 1, 2004, 03:14 PM
Indian, yes. what time? 6:30? I might be a little late, I don't get out of work until 6 and if we're driving to Raleigh it could take a little while

Lisa P
February 1, 2004, 06:07 PM
The Indian place is at 54 & 55, but can someone give some more specific directions? I am not too familiar with that area. I could probably actually make it there by 6:30.

Brian C
February 2, 2004, 08:40 AM
The Tandoori (I think) is at 55 and Sedwick. If you come from 40 East or West, make a left on 55 toward Cary/Apex.
Go through the light at 54 and you will pass shopping centers on your left and right. After that, on the right is a Golden Corral. The next light is at Sedwick and the shopping center is on your right.

Also in that shopping center (if it helps anyone) are Park Diner and Sarah's Empanadas.

I need a head count so I can let them know we're coming.

Lisa P
February 2, 2004, 08:50 AM
I need a head count so I can let them know we're coming.
ONE!

Andi
February 2, 2004, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that Ethan and I are both planning on being there, so that's TWO and THREE.

He's coming from work though. Lisa, if you're coming from Raleigh, could I maybe catch a ride?

Lisa P
February 2, 2004, 12:50 PM
No problem at all. I get done work at 6:00 and can come by to pick you up on the way. I'll honk when I get close so you can get a running start and jump through the window as I pass by. :wink: Or pm me your number and I'll call you.

Brian C
February 2, 2004, 01:55 PM
I have:

Me and Donna, The O'Bryans, Lisa, Ethan and Andi for a total of 7 so far. Anyone else?

Time? 6:30 work for everyone?

Lisa P
February 2, 2004, 02:14 PM
Andi & I might not be there right at 6:30, but we shouldn't be too late. I sent Brian T. an email. I am pretty sure he is planning to be there.

Brian Thacker
February 2, 2004, 02:21 PM
I'll be there! Brian T

Peter O'Bryan
February 2, 2004, 07:27 PM
The date of this event, so that you don't have to read back through the last 500 posts of this indecisive thread like I just did, is Friday February 6.

. . . at the Pizza Hut in Garner, as we have all agreed.

Lisa P
February 2, 2004, 07:58 PM
Oh my God, that's Friday! I guess I should read the book, huh?

heidi
February 4, 2004, 10:15 AM
Ok so another book I haven't had time to read...but if I understand right...Fast Food Nation is next so I am aiming for that one.

BUT....I don't care where you eat at 55/54 for the book club...but you better come dance off that food at the DANCE at UNC that was proposed after the book club (see rachbob's post)...you may be able to read WICKED but can you dance WICKED? We will wait and see!

Brian C
February 4, 2004, 07:28 PM
for 6:30 on FRiday. Directions are in a previous post.

They have a buffet with lots of vegetarian and animal and Animal(?) selections. They also have their regular menu.

We have an area in the back reserved just for us. See you there.

Lisa P
February 7, 2004, 09:18 AM
Hey, guess what. I have already forgotten what the next book is. :roll: Someone start a new thread with the book name in the title so I can just look here to remind me what I am supposed to be reading. Seriously, folks, make me write it down next time. I am old and forget things easily.

jesstah
February 12, 2004, 11:33 AM
Not to get back on topic... but this book makes me obsessive about knocking down big, potentially dangerous icicles around my house.

-Jesster