PDA

View Full Version : The Bunker Challenge

Bill Cochran
December 31, 2003, 02:12 PM
Chapel Hill... I need your help.

One of my New Year resolutions is to cook more; it saves money and lends a thin veneer of urbane self-reliance that women find irresistible. I had been doing a pretty good job of cooking on the regular, but I recently stopped pretty much all together and either go out or rock takeout for the majority of my meals. And itís costing me mad cheddar that I canít afford to be spending.

Up until recently I used to make a big ass pot of beans, rice, cheap ground beef and a grabass concoction of spices on Sunday and keep it in the fridge throughout the week. It was probably about 8 or 9 pounds of food and by the end of the week it got pretty stale. The pros are that it was really easy to reheat (Iím ridic busy and usually on the go), cheap, and pretty good in a hearty salt-of-the-earth kind of way, the con is that after three months it became completely inedible.

In order to cook more, Illy B needs a new staple that will be delicious, cheap and easy enough for him to stop going out.

In my mind the best food stuff on the planet is the Burrito Bunker (located in Amber Alley on Franklin St.) primo beef burrito. (Brief segue: itís also the best value on the planet in that you can get one PLUS a PBR for under $6!) It seems like it would be pretty cheap and pretty easy. Especially if this whole mad cow thing keeps driving down the prices of ground beef; as I see it, the silver lining to the potential brain hemorrhage cloud. I could keep the fixings in the fridge (black olives, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) and make a big pan of beef that I could just reheat as needed and BOOM Iíve got a delicious meal in about 5 minutes.

While I do have some burrito making skillz, I havenít been able to recreate the seasoning/preparation that they use for their beef. I feel like if I sat down with a stocked spice cabinet and about 20 BB burritos I could figure it out, but, unfortunately, I have ready access to neither.

So I need your help Chapel Hill. Give me the recipe of your best approximation of Burrito Bunker beef and Iíll try it out up here and let you know how it goes. Iím guessing/hoping that some of you can cook and are eager for the challenge. AND Iíll even sweeten the pot a little bit for you.

The winner gets a Chicago themed t-shirt mailed to him or her. Thatís mother-fucking right. Itís good for you (you get a cheap, kickass T-shirt) and itís good for me (Iíll save money and time in the long run and maybe gain some fucking weight); everybody wins here. Iím mildly obsessed with this right now and I need some closure.

Iím not looking for new burrito recipes; Iím looking for a Burrito Bunker style burrito. I donít care how your Guatemalan best friend from 6th grade makes a burrito, I know what I like and I likes the Bunker.

The panel gratefully awaits your submissions.

ilaughatme
December 31, 2003, 06:23 PM
Do Guatemalans even eat burritos?
Can't help you with the Bunker at the moment (or possibly ever with my horrible cooking skills) but I can tell you couscous is really easy to make, as is pasta, and canned vegetables. I know that helped a lot. I'm sorry. I've failed you. I'm going to go cry on that Guatemalan kid's shoulder.

Lisa P
January 1, 2004, 12:49 PM
Bill - what's their phone number? Maybe if someone calls from here and says they moved from Chicago to NC and they miss those wonderful burritos they can convince someone there to give them the recipe. I don't know that I could play a convincing former Chicagoan, but there are a few folks here who have been to Chicago. It's worth a shot, right?

Edit:Ohhh, it's in Chapel Hill. Well, as Mike said - do this, only in reverse... :roll:

Bill Cochran
January 7, 2004, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry that I haven't been able to check the boards for the past week or so, but there's been crazy big-city style layoffs at work and I'm trying as best I can to play the part of earnestly devout office worker.

No shanty town for me, thank you very much.

For the next couple of weeks my alt-Tab lifestyle is going to have to take a hiatus. (Today, I saved my company $193,000 dollars). All of this means spreadsheets, not Internet message boards.

I miss LEARN.

But CeCe, thanks for your suggestions. You're right, Guatemalans probably eat plaintains and not burritos, but those fuckers need to recognize. Burritos hit the mother-trucking spot.

Ezekiel, you're a man after my own heart. Last year there was many a time when I walked up to BB with red-bleary eyes and a hunger for burritos only to be turned away. And, on a side-note, when I was living in Utah I had a friend who was coming to visit me from San Diego bring me 7 burritos in a cooler with him on the plane. He made no friends on that flight, Sir, but it was much appreciated as Utah is probably the only state in the Union that's worse for burritos than Illinois is.

Lisa, you're not just super-hot, you're super-awesome and your forthright logic is an example to us all.

But... around the same time I posted this, I passsed my request on to a friend of mine in Chapel Hill. He's in an art-rock band and so he happens to know some BB staff and they slipped him recipe for me. The secret's the cumin!! But I seriously recommend that you who can hit the Bunker while you can... it's crazy good.

Cumin, ironically, is what my vegan friend (who is from Canada and doesn't eat meat and has never been to Burrito Bunker) suggested to me.

She's awesome, beautiful and I'll be buying her a t-shirt.

But don't tell her, it's going to be a surprise!!

Zach
January 7, 2004, 10:03 PM
I'm telling her... because I know who it is.

Cumin, C'mon.

mereibey
January 9, 2004, 12:48 PM
vegans know all about spice- if you catch my drift.

cumin get it!