PDA

View Full Version : a shot in the dark

Zack Bly
December 9, 2003, 10:34 AM
just a wild stab into the unknown here, but is anyone here interested in old-time radio? you know, flash gordon, suspense!, lone ranger, that kind of thing. or maybe lux radio theater. or stuff like that. anyone else? i've been thinking a long time about re-recording or re-producing some old scripts, and was wondering if anyone would ever be interested.

meep!

if you don't know what i'm talking about but would like to, check out some scripts that have been reproduced online for ease of viewing...

http://www.genericradio.com/library.htm

Jeff Sconce
December 9, 2003, 11:01 AM
It would be interesting to do some old Shadow shows.
A rich bass voice like Thomas' would be an asset.
[edit] SHRIEK! We HAVE to do WAR OF THE WORLDS! If we do anything, this must be the thing which we do!

EthanK
December 9, 2003, 11:29 AM
I hope this isn't a Chapel Hill only kind of thing because I'd like to jump in if you get it together. I'd totally be up for some Green Hornet or Shadow bits.

PT
December 9, 2003, 12:46 PM
Im deff in! It would be awesome to do "Little Orphan Annie" things, you know, we'd have a contest where people would have to break a code to help Annie out, and the answer would like, "Be sure to eat your oatbran"

ilaughatme
December 9, 2003, 12:49 PM
Awesome.....
I want in.

I watched Flash Gordon, the movie serial from the 1930s, and it was excessively boring.

But radio is fun.

Ross White
December 9, 2003, 12:53 PM
If anyone is interested, I have some copies of Pulp Radio, which was ComedyCity-Kansas City's improvised old-time radio show.

EthanK
December 9, 2003, 01:56 PM
And all of Firesign Theater's albums were meant as radio plays. In fact, that's what they do now, for public radio. Nick Danger Third Eye is a good example of a radio play gone wrong - find yourself some Firesign Theater!

Kit's Alter Ego
December 9, 2003, 02:46 PM
Rock! We definitely should do 'The Shadow' and Jack Benny segments.
I want to narrate a BlueCoal spot!

--Kit

PS: I think it's funny that the Superman heading on the OTR Script Library is all but filled with Batman scripts. Just...you know...it's sort of amusing. :oops: :lol:

Jack Benny: I'm thinking! I'm thinking!

Zack Bly
December 9, 2003, 08:20 PM
OH MY GOD

somebody else other than me knows who firesign theater is? they changed my life! thank god i'm not the only one!

EthanK
December 9, 2003, 08:31 PM
Dear Lord, I've found another Bozo. You know, I think we're all Bozos on this bus...

Zack Bly
December 10, 2003, 09:59 AM
you know the firesign theater did improvised radio shows...radio free oz they called it. it's on their dear friends album, which is think is awesome...not as polished as their other works (of course, because it's live and improvised) but it's still pretty cool to hear all the pre-nascent forms of the jokes that they would later use in their studio albums emerge as improvised bits...do you read me?

(i read only good books. over)

EthanK
December 10, 2003, 10:13 AM
If we could do a repeat of Nick Danger (the first Nick Danger, I've only heard the first one off How Can You Be In Two Places At Once) over the radio...damn that would be an accomplishment. I remember writing sketches based off that bit back in high school. Heck, I'm sure with the right money it would be possible to get Firesign Theater to play Chapel Hill. I mean...what are they doing that they can't break away for an evening. I haven't really liked their live stuff as much as the album stuff, but just to see them live...would be an experience.

Tom McCudden
December 10, 2003, 10:59 AM
Well, I may as well start sounding like an old fogey, but what about the Goon Show? As madcap and goofy as only the British can be. Probably irreproducible without serious accent-faking chops and sound effects, and incomprehensible outswithout but still....

EthanK
December 10, 2003, 11:17 AM
The Goon Show.. wasn't that Dudley Moore and Peter Sellers? I've only heard stories about them but never heard a recording.

Tom McCudden
December 10, 2003, 11:34 AM
Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe. I've only heard a few episodes on vinyl collections.

Dana S
December 10, 2003, 08:45 PM
Vey cool! Count me in.

Also, talking about old radio and comics, if plots or inspiration are ever needed, my dad has a lot of original issues of comics like the Shadow and Batman and Superman, etc.

Zack Bly
December 12, 2003, 09:09 AM
ah yes, the goon show was awesome. i doubt we'd have monty python today if it weren't for the goons, and withouth them then the world would probably have ended already.

but since we're all improvise-y and such, why bother taking someone else's scripts? why not just freestyle something madcap of our own?

oh the possibilities...

Kit's Alter Ego
December 12, 2003, 02:50 PM
Okay then, what genre are we looking at?

From the general trend of posts so far, it sounds like:

**Thriller mystery/suspense
**Superhero fantasy
**Comedic shorts

Also, what delivery method?

**UNC radio
(Options for the above:
....*live improv
....*prerecorded improv
....*live/prerecorded script
....*live/prerecorded sketch outline)
**tapes passed around from person to person (sketch or improv)
**Inside Improv "Bat-like Creature With Guidelines"
**Live sketch radio show
(actors stand onstage as if audience were standing in recording studio; special effects table full of noisemakers stands by with special noise-man ready to hit coconut shell-halves together.)

Man. I've exploded someone's head with all these options.

--Kit

PS: Whatever we decide on, I want us to do our own commercials.